Friday, January 13, 2006

Fudge

Much as been said about Alex, Beauty & Dim Sum but not much about Fudge. She's a baby afterall. But that's really shortchanging her isn't it? "Just cos I'm a baby doesn't mean I don't have a story to tell!"

So, here's the story of Fudge, or Baby as I love to call her. Fudge came into my life in Oct 2005 with mommy Dim Sum & her siblings - Fitzgerald (Mr Grand), Fargo (Ms Beautiful) & Fisher (Mr Energizer). Fudge is the baby of the litter. She was only a few days old, so tiny that she fits comfortably in the plam of my hand.












Fudge Baby

Being the baby, she was the weakest link. First to fall ill, last to learn anything. Typical in the animal kingdom, where the fittest survives, it became obvious that Fudge was not Dim Sum's favourite kitty. She got kicked, shoved aside, fed last. But this tiny little creature is resilient. She never gives up. She kept going for that designated nipple, whether being kicked or not. It took almost a month before Dim Sum paid real attention to Fudge.

But I made up for all the lost love. I would nurse her when she was ill, cuddle her in my palm, walk her around the house, talk to her, clean her. Alex would groom her, sleep with her & play with her. She became our baby.










Alex (L) with Baby Fudge (R)

Fudge may be the baby of the household but she's no pushover. She is a feisty kitten. She screams, hollers & demands. Fudge is an integral part of our lives. Dim Sum, Alex & Fudge are now the 3 muskateers, coming together to fight the big fat cat aka Beauty. Life was good.

That is, until she fell very ill last week. She became lethargic & weak, lost interest in everything. Did an x-ray & found fluids in her body. Fudge is FIP positive.

FIP is a viral disease that affect the many systems of the cat, spread mainly through faeces. It is deadly & there is no cure for FIP. It comes in 2 forms - dry (non-effusive) & wet (effusive). There many debates on the internet as to how a FIP cat should be treated & handled. The vet gave me strict instructions that Fudge is to be isolated with immediate effect until she passes away.

Well, I can't. I can't bring myself to tear this close-knit unit apart. My argument is simple. Alex, Beauty & Dim Sum would already have been exposed to the virus. Although there are 4 litter bins in the house - they use the bins interchangeably. Separating the cats now is not only cruel but causes stress which just makes the matter worse. Right now, the rest have not shown any signs of the disease & I keep my fingers tightly cross that everything will work out fine for them.

Fudge will die soon, in the next few weeks or at most, a couple of months if she's tenacious. The only thing I can do is to make sure her last days are happy days filled with lots of love & cuddles from all of us.





6 Comments:

Blogger cat_aunty said...

Sorry to hear about Fudge. Hang in there little guy!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Thanks for your encouragement Cat_Aunty!

You have great site. Love your pictures. Hope you don't mind but I've put linked your page to mine so that I can read your updates regularly.

:)

10:53 PM  
Blogger cat_aunty said...

No no go ahead....glad someone enjoys reading it. Thanx for the encouragement.

9:28 AM  
Blogger =^..^= said...

I'm very very sorry to hear about Fudge. I can't imagine the heartache you must be feeling now... please stay strong.

~5-Cat Style

6:12 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Thanks 5-Cat Style.

Fudge had the 1st of her weekly review last evening. She's doing well ... she's starting to behave like her usual self - a spicy speedy gonzales.

I hope the medication & supplements will buy her more time...

8:57 AM  
Blogger C. said...

I am so sorry & sad to hear about what happened to little adorable Fudge. I hope Fudge make it. Miracle does happen so hang in there...Do update everyone on Fudge's condition. Stay strong little one!

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home