Friday, May 26, 2006

Idolising

Last night, Americans chose Taylor Hicks to be their new American Idol. I chose Bono. Yes, you heard me - the frontman of U2. He is my idol not just because I am a fan of U2 but mainly for the work he does for Africa & AIDS.

Bono is a world-famous artist who doesn't rest of his celebrity laurels. Unlike the Beckhams who spend their riches on castles & useless designer toys, Bono tours Africa, dines with presidents, work with big corporate firms to raise awareness & funds (The Global Fund) for African women and children with HIV/AIDS.

Early this year, together with Bobby Shriver (brother of Maria Shriver), they started (Product) Red. They team up with iconic brands like GAP, American Express & Motorola to produce RED-branded products and a percentage of each RED product sold goes to The Global Fund.

"Celebrity is ridiculous but it is currency and I want to spend mine wisely". Who changes the world? The answer is all of us. For we each, in our very different ways, have our own currency to spend. And we must spend it wisely. - Bono

My hero *sigh* :)

PS I have added the JoinRed Blog & Red website to my list on the right.

4 Comments:

Blogger calsifer said...

not to forget, the ONE Campaign.

It's been bandied about: if a one-man army can solve poverty, it will be the Bono army.

I really hope it can be true.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh, back in the [blogging] business? did check back a few times this week but didn't see the updates. must be something to do with the incompatibility - blogspot vs firefox.

anyhoo, welcome back!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

letter b - yes, i finally haul my lazy arse back into the blogsphere

:)

4:44 PM  
Blogger Zeus said...

My human pet is a huge fan of Bono herself. She says he is a lot different than he was when Sunday Bloody Sunday came out, but I really don't know what she means by that. No one looks bloody in these pictures.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home