Monday, October 30, 2006

Read this article in Today's on the MRT to work this morning. The author, Anita Kapoor struck a raw nerve in me & I’m sure amongst a few of my compatriots. But I have to admit I am occasionally guilty of few of the acts she wrote about. However, this is not a Singapore problem but it is a problem faced by developed nations.

You can read the article here.

The same paper also covered the upcoming government's efforts to help Singaporeans cope with death, particularly end-of-life care & how people choose to be treated in their final stages. Some years back, the government introduced the Advanced Medical Directive (AMD) allowing Singaporeans (adults) to refused extraordinary life-sustaining treatment to prolong our life. Since its introduction, approximately 4000 Singaporeans have signed an AMD & a third did so after a high-profile case of Terri Schiavo. The campaign (?) I guess is to raise the awareness of AMD.

My family & I made up of that paltry 4k figure. :P

3 Comments:

Blogger calsifer said...

Would you believe, I've been meaning to sign the AMD for years, but things always get in the way - either we forgot to follow-up or the GP did not have the right form.

Shall have to endeavour to follow-through. Thanks for the reminder =)

1:41 PM  
Blogger auntie p said...

My and hubby intend to sign up too.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMD covers advanced life support. It doesn't cover somebody shoving a tube down your nose and forcefeed you till
"thy kingdom cometh" even when u r brain-dead.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home