Sunday, December 31, 2006

Story of a Goat & a Priest


Once upon a time, there was a little goat and a priest.

The priest wanted to sacrifice the goat to the gods. As he raised his arm to cut the goat’s throat, when suddenly the goat began to laugh.

The priest stopped, amazed and asked the goat, “why do you laugh? Don’t you know I’m about to cut your throat?”

“Oh yes,” said the goat. “After 499 times dying and being reborn as a goat, I will be reborn as a human being.”

Then the goat began to cry.

The priest asked “Why now are you crying?”

The goat replied, “For you, poor priest. 500 lives ago, I too was a priest and sacrificed goats to the gods.”

5 Comments:

Blogger Singapore Community Cat said...

Will we live to see the day when we human can celebrate a "happy" occasion without causing so much suffering on another species?

4:27 PM  
Blogger auntie p said...

Wahaha... karma indeed.

Happy new year to all members of chaos!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Many of our celebrations be it religious or traditional are based on practices of the past.

Hopefully, humans will see their folly of following past practices blindly & start to celebrate with intelligence & compassion.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! So true.
I think my cat Pumpkin and I were together in a past life. I used to tell her that she must have been the human and she must have taken good care of me because from the minute I met her I was driven to give her the best life I could!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

Great story! If only humans could really know the result of their actions ahead of time, maybe they'd think twice and be a better species.

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home